Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My first ever What's Up Wednesday (and Ready. Set. Write!) Post!

Hey all!

I decided to join in on this awesome thing called Ready. Set. Write! (if you click on the link, you'll get all the info!)


Anyway, here's my What's Up Wednesday post, complete with Ready. Set. Write! goal setting!


What I'm reading:
I've got A LOT of beta reading to catch up on (sorry for being the slowest beta ever, friends!) so most of my reading is awesome books that were written by equally awesome people!

I have quite a few pubbed books in my TBR pile, too, but I'm not allowed to touch them until my beta reading is done :)

What I'm writing:
Fondly known as my Summer Dragon Story on ze Twitter, my Ready. Set. Write! MS is a fun little YA Fantasy that I've decided to call DRAGON FAIL. It's a story about a girl, a dragon, some magic, a dash of royal intrigue, and cheesy speeches at even cheesier tourist attractions.

If you want to, you can read an excerpt here!

Also, I guess I'll throw in another excerpt from a little later on in the book (no one's seen this part yet! AH!). This is still from Darien's POV, though the story is told through four (!!!!) POVs. WOOOOO! ;D

************
“Did your dragon get free?” Reggie asked as they ran through the front door.
“Uh, yeah,” Darien fumbled for the keys, relieved that he left them in his pocket. He was still dressed like Peter Pan, but whatever, they were chasing a dragon. Any cool points he might have lost with the outfit were more than made up for by the fact that chasing a dragon around Virginia Beach was pretty badass.
Reggie shook his head, sighing as if a dragon getting set free was just as bad as someone spilling a glass of milk.
“We’re so fired,” Priya put her head in her hands as Darien backed out of the parking space.
“Don’t focus on that,” he said, shifting into drive. “Focus on where we’re going.”
“Right.  Where we’re going.” She looked up, getting a fiercely determined spark in her light brown eyes. They were pretty eyes.
Priya’s very pretty eyes widened as Darien almost swerved into a tree. Okay, looking at her eyes would have to wait.
**************

I just passed 30K yesterday (YAY!). Ideally, I'd like to get to 40K by the end of June (Goal for the month!), and be finished with the first draft around the end of Ready. Set. Write! (Goal for the end of summer!) So hold me to it, okay?

:D

What else I've been up to:
Ummm, I fell down the stairs while moving out of my apartment, so I have a fractured foot! But it's legitimately just a small bone off the top of my foot that got chipped, so it's no big! I get to walk around with a fancy boot on!

I'm also job searching, which is suuuuuuuuper exciting, if not a tad stressful.

I havent been to the movie theater in a while, so I'm contemplating a trip tomorrow. I also want to do a "location scouting" adventure soon, since my WiP takes place on my hometown's boardwalk! Pictures will definitely happen during said location scout :P

What inspires me right now:
All of you! No, seriously. I love the writing community and how we're so supportive of each other! I have no idea where I'd be without all of my amazing writing peeps, so I'm forever grateful to have them in my life! And I'm also forever grateful that said friends are willing to roll with whatever ridiculous ideas I have :)

And Ready. Set. Write! will hopefully inspire me to finish this draft! So excited to get things started :)

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I love this snippet you posted Alex! :-) :-) :-)
    LOVE IT! And I know I'm very happy I'm going to get to read the entire manuscript soon :-)
    And yay for you joining us!
    Crossing my fingers for the job search!
    Awkward hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <33333 I'm glad you love it :D And I cant wait to send this whole thing to you once it's done!!!

      I'm excited to join the Ready. Set. Write! endeavor!

      And thankssss! We'll see how the job search goes :D

      Awkward hugs riiiiiiiiiiiight back <3

      Delete
  2. So inspired by all these great goals for Ready. Set. WRITE! Mine are more low-key, but I'm psyched to be part of it, and psyched to read SNIPPETS LIKE THESE! Woot! Your story sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, low-key goals are good, too :) Thanks for stopping by AND for the kind words :D

      Delete
  3. Your story sounds really fun! Good luck finishing up your draft this summer!

    Bummer about your foot - hope it heals soon. And good luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you!!!

      And the foot will be fine, I'm sure! I just actually have to use the boot they gave me ;D

      Delete
  4. LOVE the story excerpt! And cheesy speeches?! I'm the QUEEN of cheesy speeches!

    Also, so glad you're on board the RSW train! Awesome goals! I hope you have a wonderful writing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!!! Cheesy speeches are seriously the best things ever :)

      Thanks for creating the RSW train! So glad to be on board :P

      Delete